Welcome to the Malahat District Branch #134
of The Royal Canadian Legion
2019 President extends a warm welcome to all members, guests and visitors.
We are the "Keepers of Remembrance" a service club dedicated to assisting Veterans and their families in the Cobble Hill, Mill Bay and Shawnigan Lake areas; but not restricted to these communities alone. Membership in different but co-equal categories is open to all Canadians who meet the criteria. Applications can be requested a the bar.
Whether it is a TV for a veteran's hospital room, or modifications to better access their home, " We Will Remember Them"
We are a social club, offereing a gathering place for members to meet with friends and acquaintances for a pint and perhaps a game of skill, such as:
- Darts, recreational as well as League play and Royal Canadian Legion Zone Play Offs.
- Pool, recreational as well as league play. The tables are there to play on all the time. Every Friday from 3 PM to 6 PM the Burtwhistle Pool Club meets.
- Card games, such as Cribbage, Canasta or Bridge are played regularly as well. The Bridge Club plays on Wednesdays at noon and the Cribbage is held on Wednesdays starting at 7 PM sharp. All are welcome.
- Come to our Meat Draw every Saturday afternoon starting at 3 PM with the last draw at 5 PM. In addition, several times a year we hold Ham & Turkey draws as well as Extra Winners Meat Draws.
Expanding on Social Commitment, we try to hold dances and sponsor several special events throughout the year; such as:
- Our raison d'etre, the annual Remembrance Day Service and celebration "Lest We Forget"
- Our branch also observes the 22nd of October as a Remembrance Service to honour those service persons who regardless of circumstances have given their lives to our country while on duty on Canadian Soil.
- The Annual Walter Hall Memorial Father's Day Fishing Derby in assoiciation with Go Fish BC, the Fresh Water Fishing Society.
- Occasionally, we will have visiting entertainers, like the Victoria Police Chorus and the Cowichan Pipers and Drummers Band in to perform for our members.
- Check out our Events Calendar as we have Steak Nights and Jam Sessions.
We also sponsor a senior's activity group that is called the Young Seniors Action Group or YSAGs as it is affectionaly known as. Membership applications can be acquired from the duty bar tender at the branch however, YSAG membership does not include membership in the Legion Branch; one must apply for that as well. There is a link to the YSAGs Website on our LINKS menu on our Home Web Page.
Explore our website knowing it is continually under development with new items, but the "REAL" Malahat Legion needs to be visited to be appreciated.
Drop in for a a glass of cheer, some camaraderie and good clean fun.
Hope to see you there.
2019 President Comrade Wilf Nash